The PINK Commander!!

Monday, April 17, 2006

It's thankful time again. I love my Grammy. She's so loving, supportive and encouraging. Those are all traits that are especially admirable to me right now. She just makes me feel like I can do anything. She's empowering and uplifting for my soul. Spending the day at her house is renewing, every time. She's also always good to remind me to enjoy every second I have with my babies, it is such a short time. This time feels like forever right now. It's really hard for me to enjoy it all the time, to cherish every whiney moment. Sigh. It is good for me to be reminded that I only have my babies for a short time. They will be big giant adults before I'm forty (and I've been told several times that 40 will come so much faster than I think it will). Ever since Supermom posted the blog about the last time she held her baby boy I've been grateful each time I hold my boy. I still rock my girl about everyday. Today we colored together and I wondered how many more times my baby girl would come to tell me it was time for me to color with her "right now." So irritating at first (she's quite bossy for her little 3 year old shorts), but when I took a moment to think about what was happening, that she just wanted me to be with her and to engage in her life for a few minutes, I couldn't help but indulge her selfish little demand. Kids are so unbelievably selfish, but what if they weren't? Would anyone give them any attention at all if they never came around and asked for it? I find them very easy to ignore (sometimes). I know that's bad and it is very definitely my selfishness showing it's ugly head. Hmm. Amazing how my children allow me to see my sins so clearly! I sometimes think that is why God gave them to me. My precious little mirrors.

I am missing my man again. I still talk to him every night, but it's just not the same as him being here. I finished cleaning off the back patio today. I threw away all the old yucky chair cushions and I had a hard time carrying all the over-sized heavy black trash bags to the front curb. It was a small misery. There I go whining again. No whining allowed. I wonder if God feels about my whining the way I feel about my children's whining? I wonder if He's pulling His hair out and crying, "What am I going to do with her?!?!" "Why won't she just listen to me without complaining?" Do you think God thinks things like that? My real question is...Do I need to change the way I think and feel about my kids' whining or do they need to stop whining or both maybe? I guess I feel the way I do about their whining partly because I think they should not do it. I just don't have a lot of pity/mercy at the end of the day. I am tired and tired of hearing it. Those are the times that are hard to cherish. And now I have almost gone full circle. Just to make it a complete circle... I love my Grammy and today I am especially thankful for her impact on my life.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger SuperMom said…

    You are so funny :-)

    Well, is it realistic to expect no whining? Especially when you're all missing your man. I think you're allowed a little whining. But I do know what you mean about it. After so much you just want to scream. Especially at the end of the day. Maybe you could try distracting them when they start whining? Usually when my kids do it, they either need sleep or something to keep them busy.

    Hey, are you getting any time to yourself?

    I think you've really hit the nail on the head about your kids wanting attention. There are times when I have so many other things I "need" to do. But I have to keep reminding myself to cherish these times. Sometimes they just need me to play with them...even if I don't really want to. Yup. We're all selfish.

    BTW - Who's turning 40? I'm not turning 40...ever. Nope. Not me. I'm never going to be 40.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger janiners said…

    reading this reminded me of something my mom said to me last night. I'm so thankful that God is turning her heart around and we have had some good talks over the past few weeks about life, pregnancy, and children. she told me in tears that she soooooo misses my brother and I when we were little, when we were dependent on her and just needed her because she was our momma. i cry, too, because even though I know she doesn't always feel it, I STILL DO NEED her, just because she is my momma. i am so excited to make my parents grandparents and for them to have the opportunity to enjoy little ones "of their own" again!

    and, i am so fortunate to have women in my life who have been and are truthful with me about the realities, wonder, and beauty of being married, becoming a mom, and just in life. there's a lot of things that many of you have said that have really impacted me and this is one of them - to enjoy the time when my children are little (and truly - always - not just when they're little) because the time goes by so very fast and with God's help, I have every intention of doing it.

    thanks for sharing this. please don't hesitate if you need anything or even if you just want some solitary time. we love you, girl!

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger janiners said…

    p.s. loved the line - "my precious little mirrors." and in time, I think the mirror will reflect the other way someday, too! at least it's been true in my life.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger LiteratureLover said…

    Laughing. I love how you came full circle. :) Ohhh, a world without whining... I don't think that's even possible. Well, maybe in the Garden of Eden BEFORE they sinned. But...

    You hit home with me when you were talking about if our children didn't keep asking (or telling), we might not take the time to do the things they want us to do with them. That was a good kick in the pants, you know. I'll be chewing on that one awhile.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home