The PINK Commander!!

Monday, May 15, 2006

Callings Continued...

Another thing that's bothering me is the idea of a mentor. What is a mentor? Who decides which person in a relationship is the mentor? And isn't there a verse somewhere in that Bible thingy about older women teaching younger women? Does that really mean "older" or does it mean women that have experienced pieces of life that other women have not yet been through? Maybe we should all be mentoring each other. I think a problem common in women is not valuing or even being aware of the power we hold. There is a separation of "married w/chilren" and "not married w/out children" in women. I just assume that no single woman wants to hang out with me and my little rugrats. Why would she want to spend time with me while I corral kids and fold laundry and do dishes and make dinner? Then I remember that I was that girl who wanted nothing more than a woman to show me what to do. The most important woman in my aldult life was a woman who invited me to her house and made me feel like a part of it. The workings of the heart are as deep water, but a man of understanding will draw them out (roughly Prov. 20:5). Kim lived that in every area (as far as I know she still does but she's in VA so I don't go over to her house quite as often as I did). I think some people are better than others at drawing people's hearts out, but I also think it's wise for each of us to be trying. Some of my most spiritually awakening moments were sitting at her table chopping onions to use for dinner, while she chopped or stirred something and just talked with me. She had three kids that she homeschooled and took to soccer and ballet and she still made time for me and that was very powerful to me. I knew that I could call her for anything, anytime. I could just call and ask if I could come over for no good reason, there wasn't a crisis, but I knew I was always welcome and she never made me feel like a burden. She just incorporated me into her life, and I wasn't the only one. Anyway, back to one of the problems...we are never going to teach or mentor women who need us if we feel that we have nothing to offer, so we need to wake up to and become aware of all that we have to offer. We are all Spiritual mothers meant to be nurturing others' souls (not forgetting our own of course).

Today I am thankful for my mind, which God has been working in all night and all morning, so far.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger LiteratureLover said…

    Thank you for this post. You know, I think about those things too and I am always hesitant to bring people into my everyday life for some reason. But, when I've done it, they've always been so appreciative and we've helped each other in so many ways. Thanks for reminding me to invite people into my life. I wonder why that's so difficult to remember? Maybe it's because we're waiting to be the "perfect example" which, ironically, will never happen. Great thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger SuperMom said…

    i read these posts monday morning, but was so blown away by all your thoughts - i didn't want to write until i could process it a bit. get this thru your little thick head girl, i believe in you. a good man always has a great woman with him, keeping him from harm and boredom. you are a leader who serves, and a kind and graceful woman who knows how to kick some ass when needed.

    ..........hubby of supermom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home